80 Percent Keyboards: A Guide to Minimalism for Typing EnthusiastsIntroductionIn an era where compactness and efficiency are more of a necessity than a luxury, the rise of the 80 percent keyboard can......
80 Percent Keyboards: A Guide to Minimalism for Typing Enthusiasts
In an era where compactness and efficiency are more of a necessity than a luxury, the rise of the 80 percent keyboard can be seen as the perfect embodiment of these qualities. The 80 percent keyboard is a minimalist typing device that has been gaining popularity amongst typing enthusiasts over the years. In this guide, we will explore the features and benefits of these keyboards, as well as some of the best 80 percent keyboards available in the market.
What is an 80 Percent Keyboard?
An 80 percent keyboard is a compact keyboard design that offers the functionality of a full-size keyboard while taking up considerably less desk space. The design eliminates the numpad on the rightmost side of the keyboard, thus reducing the keyboard's width. Furthermore, most 80 percent keyboards also eliminate the function row keys, instead incorporating the function keys into the number row keycaps through a function layer.
Benefits of 80 Percent Keyboards
Small Size: The small form factor of 80 percent keyboards makes them perfect for users with limited desk space, as well as for those who like to travel with their keyboard. Their compact design also allows users to keep their mouse, and other accessories closer, reducing the need for excessive arm movement.
Comfortable Typing Experience: With 80 percent keyboards, the distance between the mouse and keyboard is short, allowing for a more comfortable and relaxed typing experience. Smaller keyboards also allow for more flexible placement of keyboard and mouse.
Customizable: Most 80 percent keyboards come with a programmable firmware capability, allowing users to customize their keyboard to better fit their needs. Users can also swap keycaps to customize the look and feel of their keyboard.
Types of 80 Percent Keyboards
1. ANSI Layout: The most common layout of an 80 percent keyboard is the ANSI layout. This layout is the same as that of a standard US keyboard, except that the numpad is removed. The function keys are integrated into the number keys through the function layer.
2. ISO Layout: The ISO layout is the European-based keyboard layout, which includes an extra key to the right of the left shift key. The ISO layout is similar to the ANSI layout, with the same compact design and elimination of the numpad.
3. HHKB Layout: The HHKB (Happy Hacking Keyboard) layout is a unique design created by Japanese company Topre. The HHKB layout follows the ANSI layout but features arrow keys, control keys, and function keys in a different arrangement that is optimized for typing efficiency.
Best 80 Percent Keyboards in the Market
1. Vortexgear Pok3r: The Vortexgear Pok3r is a minimalistic keyboard that features an aluminum case and PBT keycaps. It has a programmable firmware and multiple switch options.
2. Ducky One 2 Mini: The Ducky One 2 Mini features a sleek design with customizable RGB lighting and various switch options. It has a durable construction and programmable firmware.
3. Keychron K2: The Keychron K2 is a wireless mechanical keyboard that features Bluetooth connectivity and a long-lasting battery life. It has a stylish design and various switch options, making it a suitable option for both office and home.
The 80 percent keyboard has quickly become a popular choice for typing enthusiasts who appreciate the compact design, comfortable typing experience, and programmability options. With technology advancing every day, the 80 percent keyboard is likely to continue its growth in popularity as people look for more efficient and personalized typing solutions.
While there is certainly a learning curve involved in using the Air Keyboard, most users report that after a brief adjustment period, typing becomes almost as easy and natural as it is with a traditio......
Aukey Mechanical Keyboard: A ReviewAukey is a well-known brand in the world of computer accessories, and their mechanical keyboards are no exception. We had the chance to try out the Aukey Mechanical......
Aukey Keyboard: A Great Typing ExperienceKeyboard is one of the essential peripherals that every computer user needs. Whether it is for typing emails, surfing the web or for work purposes, a keyboard......
- Blog (602)